Greek local food products, direct from exporting companies

homecontact-ussite-map

Sights

[] Archaeological site Akrokorintho

Akrokorintho is considered one of the most impressive attractions of the Ancient korintho and it's a must see in eveakrokorinyhosry sightseeing tour. This impressive fortress was built in the ancient years at an altitude of 575 meters above sea level, and was expanded during the Byzantine, Frankish, Turkish and the Venetian eras. Inside the castle, follow the path that leads you to the northeast side and you will find yourselves across a Muslim Mosque, built in the 16th century, and on your east side you will get the chance to see the space where the magnificent Temple of Venus (of the most known temples in ancient Greece) used to be. This is definitely one of the most important archeological sites, not only in Peloponnese, but in Greece as well.

[[] Archaeological site Ancient Koritho

The Ancient Korintho wasAncient_Korinthos an extremely spiritual place, with numerous temples and sacrifice sites, forming one of the most extensive archeological sites in Greece. From the Sacred Spring and up the hill you will stumble across the Temple of Apollo, one of the most impressive temples of the area. It was built in the 6th century BC, a fabulous sample of Doric Rhythm, in the exact location of another 7th century temple. The archeological sites around the Temple are also comprised of the Glafki Spring, the Conservatory, the Theater and the Asclepion and they all should definitely be included in your sightseeing tour.

[[] Archaeological site of roual Lechaiou

The area of Korinth was already populated from the Prehistoric period. The ancient settlement, much as the modern city, developed on thRoual_Lechaioue ‘bridge’ that connects the Peloponnese with continental Greece. The harbour of Lechaeon is situated to the west of the modern village of Old Corinth, and to the south of the old national road Corinth-Patrae. To the east of the harbour lies the well known prehistoric settlement of Korakou (Blegen, 1921). West of the prehistoric settlement, and south of the road, is situated the necropolis of ancient Lechaeon (7th - 4th century BC). The Roman necropolis is further west, and a Mycenaean tomb is reported to the area west of the harbour, next to the sea. The excavations of Skias revealed two roads that reached from the city to the harbour. The first is the "Lechaeon Road’ that is commented on by Pausanius, (II, 3, 4), and a second road between the main and western wall. The Lechaeon Road reaches roughly the center of the harbour complex to the south. A modern road still follows the same path as the Lechaeon Road. The second road follows the line of the western wall whereby as section of the road intersects the Lechaeon Road just before the harbour, nowadays in the area to the south of the old national road.

[[] Archaeological site of  Stimfalia

In the ancient Stimfalia between the years 1924-1930 Anastasios Orlandos revealed the perimeter of the market, where he found a large building with a circular wall of a temple. Parts of this temple still exist.
A large square building with dimensions of 33,50 x30,20 meters which probably was a ring, a fountain, platforms and altars. In addition in Stimfalia lake preserved traces of Adrianiou aqueduct which was transferring water from the area to Korinth.
Finally, the Frankish church, the ruins of which still standing, has been built mainly with ancient material, probably from the temple of Artemis which probably was in the same position.

[[] Archaeological site ancient Sikyon

Sikyon wasAncient_Sikyon an ancient Greek city situated in the northern Peloponnesus between Korintho and Achaea on the territory of the present-day prefecture of Korinthia. The king-list given by Pausanias comprises twenty-four kings, beginning with the autochthonous Aegialeus; the penultimate king of the list, Agamemnon, compels the submission of Sicyon to Mycenae; after him comes the Dorian usurper Phalces. Pausanias shares his source with Castor of Rhodes, who used the king-list in compiling tables of history; the common source was convincingly by F. Jacoby as a lost Sicyonica by the late fourth-century poet Menaechmus of Sicyon.

[[] Archaeological site ancient Nemea

Although the Games, and the site of Nemea, became Panhellenic in 573 B.C., the physical remains from that early period are scattereAncient_Nemead and fragmentary. It is only after the Games return ca. 330 B.C. from Argos that we see clearly the nature of the site and the effects of the Macedonian influence.
The Temple of Zeus was the religious center of the site, although since excavations have not been done to the north and east, the frame of the sanctuary on those sides is not known. Immediately to the east of the Temple was the Altar of Zeus - a long and narrow structure where athletes and pilgrims would take animals to be sacrificed. To the south of the Altar was the Sacred Grove of cypress trees which were mentioned by Pindar and Pausanias, and the planting pits for which have been discovered.

[[] Archaeological site of Ireon

Really beautiful is the Ireonregion of Hereon Perachora and the lake of Vouliagmeni, which revealed the most important relics of the early Corinthian civilization.  The temple of Hera was the centre, in the port below the apparent small lighthouse built today. Perachora during Roman times was a vital part of Corinth.  According to relics which were found in the wider area of Peraia, it is estimated that the famous from various literary sources Henoi city was in the today’s Schinos and according to findings, which came to light in 1972 in the town of Loutraki, placed there the settlement Therma.

[[] Archaeological site ancient Pelini

Ancient Pelini located between Xylokastro and Trikala,in the village Zougra whichrenamed Pelini.Ancient_pellini
Port of Pelini was Aristonaftes,which was located in the today’s Xylokastro, while further south in the existing Trikala placed Mysaio, where there was worship of Demetra similar to that of Thesmoforion.

[[] The archaeological museum of Korintho

The museum of Corinth was designed and built in 1931 by the architect W. Stuart Thompson and it’s located right on the ancient site, where numerous excavations have taken placMuseum_of_ancient_Korinthose over the years, mainly by American archeologists. The building was expanded to the west, about 20 years later. All the findings are from the pre-historic, the Geometrical and the Hellenistic periods, as well as from the Roman and the Byzantine eras, with a plethora of sculptures, amphorae, inscriptions and ceramics.
The museum is open from 08.45 in the morning until 05.00 in the afternoon, during the winter months, and between 08.45 and 07.00 in the afternoon, during the summer.
If you are planning on visiting the archeological site, it’s better to start from the ancient road of Lechaion, on the north side. From there you can enjoy a panoramic view of the whole site. Moving along the pedestrian alley you will find yourselves in the Agora. On the right side of the street you will see the Basilica, which was built in the 1st century AD and on your left you will see the Roman Baths, the Apollo Temple and the Pirini Spring.
Ancient Corinth is about 7 kilometers southwest of the modern city.

[[] The archaeological museum of Nemea

Even before work by the University of California had begun, it was apparent that a museum would be necessary so that fMuseum_of_ancient_Nemeainds could be housed, studied, preserved and exhibited. The museum opened in 1984 thanks to a donation from former Bank of America President, Rudolph A. Peterson. His example was followed by hundreds of private benefactors whose gifts made possible the excavations from 1973 to 2004. Finds from the excavations of Nemea and from the wider region are beautifully displayed in the well-appointed museum. Visitors can learn about them from a wide range of educational material, including models, publications, labels and a wealth of audiovisual aids.
Here it is possible to see construction parts of ancient buildings, marble steles, coins, vessels and pottery, as well as the famous stolen jewellery from the Mycenaean tombs of Aidonia, which made the long journey home from New York, having been discovered on display there at an auction. The small but representative Nemea Museum is worth visiting to appreciate once again the greatness and the achievements of our Greek ancestors.

[[] Folklore museum of Korintho

The rich collection, dateFolklore_museum_of_Korinthosd from the beginning of the 19th century until the middle of the 20th century, includes male and female costumes from several areas of Greece, embroidery, weavings, silverwork, metalwork and wood carving as well as agricultural tools and utensils. It also exhibits a set of urban furniture of the 19th century as well as a library containing books from the 17th, 18th and 19th century.

[[] Observatory Stefaniou

The sky's scenery and the mysteries of the universe have enchanted mankind since ancient times. At Stephani our ancestorObservatory_Stefanious used to explain the reason for day and night, the ongoing seasons, the origin of the stars and other wondrous phenomena of our night sky, with myths, legends and folktales. But for the last four decades now, we have been turning to scientists to lead us through the dark infinity of the firmament. Their theories and discoveries have opened our imagination to space through the village's gate to man's final frontier: The Stephanion Observatory situated on Dragatoura Hill (trans. Field guard's outlook).

[[] Astronomical station Kryoneriou

The astronomical base is a rare scientific institution in our region. The telescope, with a diameter of 1,20 metres, was one of the largest in Greece and the Balkan peninsula. DuriAstronomical_station_Kryonerioung the last few years, thanks to the initiative of youthful institutions in Kryoneri, it has reached remarkable importance as space of scientific research and cultural activity.
The initiative “open doors” of the astronomical observatory is seen as a great cultural event in Corinthia. These appointments take place every summer at the beginning of August and include astronomical evenings (observation of the celestial bodies through telescope, visit of the astronomical station, thematic projection of videos) but also musical events.
In this station, it has been planned the creation of a modern Astronomical Park that will include a Planetarium with an amphitheatre for conferences and a small centre for various events, that will keep the telescope that has been serving since 1972 the investigators of the National Observatory of Athens as well as students and investigators of all the world.

[[] The Korintho Canal

The Canal cuts in a straight line the Isthmus of Corinth in length 6.346 m. Its width at the surface of the sea is 24,6 m. and at the bottom i The Korintho Canalt is 21,3 m., while its depth oscillates between 7,50 and 8 m. However, the idiomorphic geological constitution of its flanks had as a consequence a number of major landslides into the Canal at several instances, and as a result it remained close for an extended period of time.  Overall from the beginning of its operation up to 1940, various collapses caused the closure of the Canal for a total of 4 years. The most considerable of these collapses occurred in 1923 when volumes of earth of 41.000 cubic meters had fallen in and kept the canal closed for 2 years.  Furthermore another major interruption of the operation occurred in 1944, and it is owed to the explosion of the flanks which were caused by the retreating German Army that caused 60000 cubic meters of earth to cave in. It took 5 years to clear the Canal for traffic (1944-1949). Let it be noted that before the explosion, the Germans threw into the Canal an important number of railway vehicles in order to make the repairs even more difficult. This as it was mentioned before, lasted 5 years.  Also, in the Corinth Canal today two submersible bridges function. One is at Posidonia and the other is at Isthmia, in order to serve the communication between Sterea and Peloponnese. Each year 15.000 boats cross roughly the waters of Isthmus, of at least 50 nationalities.

[[] The lake Vouliagmeni

The peaceful lagoon of Vouliagmeni lies 16-km. northwest of Loutraki and was caused by the subsidence of the ground to α kind of trench. The lagoon is 2 km. long and up to 1 kmThe lake Vouliagmeni. wide. Its depth is estimated at 40 m. Α channel of 6-m. width provides an outlet to the sea. In ancient times, it was called Eschatiotis (meaning the “last” part of the promontory) or Corgopis (from the mother of Megareus, who was drowned in its waters). No trace has survived of the ancient Megarean colony of Aegeirus, which stood to the north of the lagoon. A settlement dating back to the early Helladic I period was discovered by the archaeologist J.M. Fossey about 30 m. west of the channel from the lagoon into the Gulf of Corinth. Another settlement, of early Helladic 11, has come to light to the north-west, and 300 meters from this an ossuary of the same period yielded the bones of 10 dead and some 500 vessels. It can be concluded from the scattered finds of sherds that in the third and second millennia BC, families of farmers and fishermen sparsely inhabited the area.

[[] The lake Stimfalia

The lake Stymfalia is situated on a plateau at an altitude of 600 meters between the mountains Kyllini and Oligyrtos. It preservThe lake Stimfaliaes water during the winter months in an area of approximately 3.5 square kilometers. The name of the region comes from Stymphalos, son of King Arkadas. The lake is connected to the sixth feat of Hercules, who in the faced the Stymphalian Birds who lived in the region and created problems. According to the feat Hercules dragged the hens out of the dense vegetation of the lake and killed with arrows. The lake is a rare wetland and a refuge for rare birds such as ducks, eagles, kingfishers, partridge, Night Heron, egrets and many other species.

[[] The lake Doxas

Lake Doxa is located inThe lake Doxas Feneos Korinthias and is an artificial lake at an altitude of 900 meters set up in 1995 with the construction of a 710m dam. The lake was built from torrent Doxa flowing in that area. During the past the lake has flooded several times, and across the broad plain of Feneos and destroying the crops of the then inhabitants of the region. In a narrow strip of land in the lake there is the chapel of St. Fanourios (Paliomonastiro). Previously there was the Monastery of St. George, but because of the flood moved a short distance from its initial position in an adjacent hill.

[[] The cave of Mercury

Little lower than the plateau Flabouritsa is the Cave of Mercury, on the east side of Mount Ziria at an altitude of 1700  The cave of Mercurymeters. According to mythology, Hermes was born there from the nymph Maia who was one of the seven Pleiades. The cave is 1.200tm and decays at 8 enclosed spaces with clusters of stalactites and stalagmites. During the visit of the cave equipment is necessarily such as, rope, flashlight and appropriate clothing.

 

 

THE CAVE OF HERMES: From the shelter, located on the plateau of Ziria, another path leads to the Cave of Mercury. The Ziria is the mountain of Pan and Hermes. The known flirtatious god, Zeus loved one of the Pleiades, the midwife, in a cave in Kyllini and birthplace Mercury. This cave, now called "Cave of Mercury."

 

THE CAVE OF THE VIRGIN OF ROCK: Located just outside the village of Lower Tarsus, on the as-Meteora-boulder-hill overlooking οf these. This "double decker" cave downstairs which is built very old hermitage-chapel dedicated to Our Lady "the rock". The upper floor was used as a food pantry, etc., as well as shelter for local residents during the difficult period of Ottoman rule.

KATAVOTHRES FENEOS: Around the old, dried now, Feneos Lake, 3-4 there are natural sinks from which they escaped the surplus waters of the lake to the aquifer and the sea, eventually. The only one of those "works" even for this purpose, located near the village of Eye Feneos plateau, and draining, with a very impressive way, the large water bubble stream in the earth.

 

THE CAVE OF LAKE STYMFALIAS: Foot, right from the regional 'coastal' road Stymfalias lake, there is a small hole, after 1.5 to 2 meters downhill, leading to the first room lakeside cave. This cave, when discovered, several years ago, during the opening of the road, turned out, was beautiful, with very remarkable stalactites and stalagmites and led to an underground lake. This lake, in fact, was none other than the actual Stimfalia eisedye that, at this point in the earth, that the cave.