The Greek honey is famous for its high quality, aroma and outstanding taste.
The flower-honey is well-known and high-selling, produced from nectar mainly citrus and other fruits, thyme with its incomparable aroma, and pine honey produced in the highland regions from conifer trees.
Brown (honeydew & Flowers)
[ The health benefits of honey
- Prevent cancer and heart disease: Honey contains flavonoids, antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.
- Reduce ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders: Recent research shows that honey treatment may help disorders such as ulcers and bacterial gastroenteritis.
- Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-fungal : All honey is antibacterial, because the bees add an enzyme that makes hydrogen peroxide.
- Increase athletic performance: Ancient Olympic athletes would eat honey and dried figs to enhance their performance. This has now been verified with modern studies, showing that it is superior in maintaining glycogen levels and improving recovery time than other sweeteners.
- Reduce cough and throat irritation: Honey helps with coughs. In a study of 110 children, a single dose of honey was just as effective as a single dose of dextromethorphan in relieving nocturnal cough and allowing proper sleep.
- Balance the 5 elements: Honey has been used in ayurvedic medicine in India for at least 4000 years and is considered to affect all three of the bodys primitive material imbalances positively. It is also said to be useful in improving eyesight, weight loss, curing impotence and premature ejaculation, urinary tract disorders, bronchial asthma, diarrhea, and nausea.Honey is referred as Yogavahi since it has a quality of penetrating the deepest tissues of the body. When honey is used with other herbal preparations, it enhances the medicinal qualities of those preparations and also helps them to reach the deeper tissues.
- Blood sugar regulation: Even though honey contains simple sugars, it is NOT the same as white sugar or artificial sweeteners. Its exact combination of fructose and glucose actually helps the body regulate blood sugar levels.
- Heal wounds and burns: External application of honey has been shown to be as effective as conventional treatment with silver sulfadiazene. It is speculated that the drying effect of the simple sugars and honeys anti-bacterial nature combine to create this effect.
- Probiotic: Some varieties of honey possess large amounts of friendly bacteria. This includes up to 6 species of lactobacilli and 4 species of bifidobacteria. This may explain many of the mysterious therapeutic properties of honey.
- Beautiful skin: Its anti-bacterial qualities are particularly useful for the skin, and, when used with the other ingredients, can also be moisturizing and nourishing!
[ Honey and Skin Care
Honey is not only good for our body if it is consumed as a food but it is very beneficial if you use it as a skin care product. Honey not only works for caring for everyday skin conditions, it is also used as a treatment for various skin problems.
Due to its qualities honey is widely used in different skin care products. It is used as a skin care product since centuries. Cleopatra used honey and milk for her bath to keep her looking youthful.
Honey is used in skin care as a moisturizer and anti-irritant.
Not only that, honey is known as natural humectants which means it has an ability to attract moisture and hold it.
Another great quality of honey is that it has an amazing shelf life. That means you can preserve it for longer periods of time than any other product.
It’s humectants quality makes it good for those people who have oily skin. It keeps your skin moist without oiliness.
Honey is widely used in different facial masks.
Honey and skin care offer a variety of treatment qualities:
Honey as moisturizer:
Due to its humectants qualities, it is used in moisturizers, cleansers, creams, shampoos and conditioners. It does not only attract water but it retains it in skin. If skin loses its ability to retain moisture then it appears wrinkled and dry. In this way if you use honey it will prevent wrinkles and dryness. It maintains skin suppleness and elasticity.
Honey as antioxidant:
Honey is always famous for its natural anti-oxidant properties. Antioxidant properties play an important role in protecting the skin damage from ultraviolet light of sun. Overexposer of skin to the ultra violet light of sun causes skin damage, premature aging and even skin cancer. Other sun screen lotion can cause skin irritation. Now researchers are conducting studies to find out to use more honey in sun screen lotions.
I, Anastacia Markaki, am the author of this article, Honey, and I release its content under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 and later, and under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribute Share-Alike